Wednesday, October 04, 2006

English

English can be so confusing. Let's see this example: "sea" vs "see". You can't tell what's the difference only by hearing it, unless it's in a context but there are many words like that. Another thing I noticed is that the pronun "you" is the same for one person or for more persons. That's really stupid and makes confusion. I know more problems like that but I can't remeber them right now and I found this opinion, wich is pretty old, but I mostly agree.

English sucks
Posted By: The Anglophobe

Funny, my grammar book tells me that American English and British English are identical. Only pronunciation and the spelling of a few words differ. And since when did the British suddenly become such good spellers? "Thames" pronounced "temz"? "Centre" has an "re" at the end but "computer" isn't spelled "computre" and "saucer" is definitely not spelled "saucre". The "gh" in "enough" is pronounced as an "f" and is silent in "through". "One" is pronounced the same as "won". "By" is pronounced the same as "buy" or "bi", unless it's at the end of the name of a town where it's pronounced like "be". You use "I" for representing the first person, but not "U" for the second. English spelling is irregular, non-phonetic, and totally awful, be it American or British, but at least the Americans attempted (and failed) to make English spelling a little more phonetic and regular.
source

No comments:


.